Healthy Vegetarian Recipes
Quick Vegetable and Chick Pea Side Dish
Very quick healthy vegetarian recipes
500g packet frozen country harvest vegetables
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon curry powder
125g chick peas, drained
1. Cook frozen vegetables following packet directions. Drain.
2. Add oil to saucepan. Add curry powder and cook vegetables to saucepan and stir in drained chick peas.
3. Toss together and enjoy!!
This recipe was derived from Simply New Winter 06 magazine. For more ideas visit
Ingredients (serves 6-8)
1. 1 onion, chopped
2. 1 leak, sliced
3. 1 stick of celery, sliced
4. 2 carrots, diced
5. 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
6. 2 ½ cups of chicken stock
7. 50 g of frozen peas
8. 50 g of pasta
9. 1 tea spoon sugar
10. 1 table spoon of chopped fresh parsley
11. 1 table spoon of chopped fresh basil
12. Large pinch of saffron strands
13. Salt and pepper to taste
1. Soak the saffron strands in 1 tablespoon of boiling water for 10 min to release the flavour.
2. Chop the onion, leek, celery, carrots and garlic and place in a large pan. Add the chicken stock, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 10 min.
3. Add the canned tomatoes, the saffron with its liquid and the frozen peas. Bring back to the boil and ass the soup pasta. Simmer for 10 min until the pasta is cooked.
4. Season with sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the chopped herbs just before serving.
Another healthy vegetarian recipe, this one is low fat, high fibre and has a low glycaemic index.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, grated
1 stick celery, diced
1 small zuccihi, chopped
8 button mushrooms
400 can brown lentils, undrained
700g jar Leggo's sugo di pomodoro- italian herbs with basil
50 g polyunsaturated margarine
3 tablespoons plain flour
1 cup grated reduced fat tasty cheese
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan, add onion and cook for 1-2 minutes. Stirring continually. Add carrot, celery, zucchini and mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes until tender.
2. Add undrained brown lentils and pour in Leggos Sugo di Pomodoro stirring well. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Meanwhile make white sauce: melt margarine in a medium saucepan, add flour and cook for 1 minute and remove form heat. Gradually whisk in milk, return to heat and bring to the boil stirring continually until sauce thickens. Stir in half a cup of the cheese.
4. To assemble lasagne, spread a little lentil sauce over the base of a 20 cm x 30cm ovenproof dish. Cover with a layer of lasagne sheets.
5. Layer a third of the lentil sauce and a third of the cheese sauce onto lasagne sheets. Top with another layer of lasagne sheets. Top with another layer of lasagne sheets.
6. Repeat step 5 twice finishing with lentil sauce and cheese sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 25-30 minutes.
More healthy vegetarian recipes coming soon
Vegetarian Indian Curry
A family friend gave this recipe to me. Don't tell the family it is vegetarian, it is so good they probably won't notice.
More Healthy Vegetarian Recipes
Want more information on vegetarian living or more vegetarian recipes visit