Healthy Winter Warmers. Spicy Tomato and Lentil soup
Ingredients (serves 4)
1. 1 table spoon of canola oil
2. 1 onion, finely chopped
3. 2 garlic cloves, crushed
4. 2.5cm of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
5. 1 tea spoon of cumin seeds crushed
6. 450 grams if ripe tomatoes peeled, seeded and chopped
7. 115g or ½ a cup of red split lentils
8. 1L of vegetable or chicken stock
9. 1 table spoon of tomato paste
10. Salt and pepper to taste
11. Low fat natural yogurt and chopped fresh parsley, to garnish (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the chopped onion for 5 min until soft.
2. Stir in the garlic, ginger and cumin, followed by the tomatoes and lentils. Cook over a low heat for a further 4 min.
3. Stir in the stock and tomato puree. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently for about 30 min until the lentils are soft. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Puree the soup with a hand blender or food processor. Reheat in pan if needed. After serving add a heaped tablespoon of low fat yogurt and a little chopped parsley.
5. If you have to have bread with your soup, choose a bread with a low glycemic index like:- soy and linseed bread.
Minestrone Soup (Suitable for Vegetarians)
Ingredients (serves 6-8)
1. 1 onion, chopped
2. 1 leak, sliced
3. 1 stick of celery, sliced
4. 2 carrots, diced
5. 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
6. 2 ½ cups of chicken stock
7. 50 g of frozen peas
8. 50 g of pasta
9. 1 tea spoon sugar
10. 1 table spoon of chopped fresh parsley
11. 1 table spoon of chopped fresh basil
12. Large pinch of saffron strands
13. Salt and pepper to taste
1. Soak the saffron strands in 1 tablespoon of boiling water for 10 min to release the flavour.
2. Chop the onion, leek, celery, carrots and garlic and place in a large pan. Add the chicken stock, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 10 min.
3. Add the canned tomatoes, the saffron with its liquid and the frozen peas. Bring back to the boil and ass the soup pasta. Simmer for 10 min until the pasta is cooked.
4. Season with sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the chopped herbs just before serving.
Check out some of our other