Healthy Diabetic Recipes
The key to diabetic meals is to get the balance right between protein and carbohydrates with the least amount of fat. The key to healthy meals is the quality of ingredients. Also important for healthy diabetic recipes is the type of carbohydrates, emphasizing slower release carbohydrate types or low glyceamic index. But dont have to much, glyceamic load is just as important. 2 potatoes or 1 cup of rice is enough for the carbohydate porton of a meal. Eating healthy and regularly is the key to long term glucose control and cardiovascular health. The following healthy diabetic recipes are balanced, low in fat, low in saturated fat and high in fibre.
Lentil-Walnut Burgers (suitable for vegetarians)
1 can of lentils, stained and rinsed
2 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar, add to lentils and mash
1 table spoon of canola margarine
1 cup finely-minced onion
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
10 large mushrooms, minced
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 small stalk minced celery
pinch of salt
fresh black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of mustard
1 tablespoon dry sherry
1/2 cup raw wheat germ
1. Saute the margarine, onion, garlic and mushrooms in a large pan.
2. Add the salt, pepper, mustard and sherry, mix.
3. Add the mashed lentils and mix well.
4. Add the wheat germ.
5. Chill in fridge for 1 hour.
6. Form patties about 6 cm wide and 1-1.5 cm thick.
7. Fry patties in canola oil until brown.
8. Constuct burger using multigrain bread rolls and loads of salad toppings (like- tomato, lettuce, grated carrot,
low-fat cheese, beetroot and pineapple).
More healthy diabetic recipes
For your diabetic needs consult your Dr or