Healthy Baby and Fussy Toddler Recipes
Tested, loved and dietitian approved healthy baby and fussy toddler recipes.
Babies First Foods
One of the very first meals I cooked for my little one was puree apple and pear. It is very simple and with no added extras I would find on the label of bought baby food. I would make a batch and freeze it in a small zip lock bags that would keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. This one is great for breakfast or lunch.
Apple and Pear Cereal
The rice cereal contains iron and protein, which is important for your child’s growth and development. This is an important time for iron and protein in your child’s diet as milk (breast and formula) is relatively low in these nutrients for your child’s stage of development.
3 apples, peeled and sliced
2 pears, peeled and sliced
2/3 cup water
5-10 drops of lemon juice
3 heaped tablespoons of baby rice cereal
1. Peel and chop the apple and pears.
2. Place in a medium source pan with the water
3. Cook slowly for 10 min until fruit is soft enough to
mash with a fork.
4. Add the lemon juice.
5. Mash with a fork or blend with a hand blender until puree
6. Stir in the rice cereal one tablespoon at a time until water is absorbed and the consistency is right.
7. Use a tablespoon to place 2-3 spoon fulls into the zip lock bags.
8. Write the date on the bag with a marker.
9. When time to reheat, remove from bag into a microwave proof dish and reheat for about 30 –130 second depending on your microwave. Check and stir every 30 seconds.
10. Rap child in plastic sheet and have fun!!!!
Sweet Potato and Steak Puree
This recipe is for children who have handled rice cereal and pureed fruits OK. It makes a great nutritious dinner that your child will not get sick of.
1 sweet potato
1 cob of fresh corn
1-2 tablespoons of frozen peas
2 corners (about 3 x 5 cm) of your favorite steak (when my husband and I cooked scotch fillet steak we took the well done corners off from each of our steaks and add them to this recipe)
1. Scrub the sweet potato and regular potatoes (even the clean ones) with a scrubbing brush and water until all soil is removed.
2. Pick all the potatoes with a skewer 3-5 times each and wrap in cling wrap and place on a plate.
3. Cook in the microwave, turning every 3 minutes. The regular potatoes will cook first so take them out at about 6-8 minutes or when you can slide a skewer through it. The sweet potato should take about 8-12 minutes depending on its size and your microwave power.
4. Cook the washed corn in the microwave too. Unwrapped on a plate for 5-8 minutes, turning regularly.
5. The peas can also be cooked in the microwave in ½ cup of boiling water for 2-3 minutes.
6. For the steak, pan fry or BBQ with a light spray of canola oil on each side until cooked through (don’t run the risk of food poisoning, cook all meats through for a few more minutes).
7. Once the potatoes are cooked remove the skin from the potatoes by running a knife down the middle and pulling the skin apart with our thumbs (let it cool a little first) and place in a large plastic bowl or pan.
8. Remove the corn from the cob my holding the corn on its end and running the knife down to remove the kernels.
9. Also add the peas and the steak to the bowl.
10. Hand blend the mixture in the bowl with a hand blender, 2-3 tablespoon of water may be needed to get the right consistency. Blend until smooth for 6-9 month old leaving more lumps for old children to learn to chew.
11. Spoon 2-3 tablespoon into each zip lock bag remove air and freeze for up to 3 months.
12. When time to reheat remove from zip bag onto a microwave safe plate and heat for 30-130 seconds depending on microwave checking and stirring every 30 seconds.
13. Wrap child in plastic and have fun!
Healthy Recipes for Fussy Toddlers
Cheesy Salmon Breville Sandwiches
Simple healthy old favorite, they may not eat much but this recipe is packed with goodness.
2 slices of soy and linseed bread
1 packet or tin of lemon and dill salmon
2 slices of tasty cheese
1 tomato sliced
Canola oil spray
1. Preheat toasted sandwich maker.
2. Lightly spray breville with canola oil.
3. Add a slice of bread, the salmon, the tomato, the cheese and top slice of bread.
4. Breville until brown and cooked through.
5. Cut up and allow to cool a little before serving.
6. Both you and your toddler can enjoy.
Hot topic- information about iron deficency and bottle feeding
Hot topic- children
More healthy baby and fussy toddler recipes coming soon or send me your own recipe ideas.
Send me your healthy baby and fussy toddler recipes
Site Build it